No rain was forecast for today, Sunday, an unusual occurrence this summer in the Smokies. Still tired from our road trip, I opted to edit photos and write updates for our blog, Dunngone, while Kay shopped for groceries. Consequently, we waited until late to venture out out for exercise and photos. Besides, crowds seem to be worse in the late mornings and early afternoons. Kay chose for us to walk the 2.4 mile trail at Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, followed by a trip to Cataloochee Valley hoping to see elk.
Lake Junaluska was dependable as always, offering a few blooms and butterflies.
These occur mostly near the Kern Center. Sites along the trail are described as follows. Built in 1956, the Kern Center includes meeting spaces, a seasonal soda shop and a year-round fitness center. The Corneille Bryan Native Garden features more than 500 species of native plants and is a haven for birdlife. The Lake Junaluska Rose Walk was conceived in 1962 and features more than 200 hybrid tea, grandiflora and floribunda roses. The World Methodist Museum and Susanna Wesley Garden houses the largest collection of Methodist history, artifacts and memorabilia in the world. Named for John Wesley’s mother, the Susanna Wesley Garden is a place for prayer and meditation. The Terrace is a recently renovated hotel offering contemporary luxury and breathtaking views of the lake. The Harrell Center, built in 1960, houses meeting facilities, Lake Junaluska’s coffee and gift store “Junaluska Gifts & Grounds”, the SEJ Heritage Center, the Lake Junaluska library and public restrooms. Access to the boat dock is available at ground level. Stuart Auditorium, the first structure completed at Lake Junaluska in 1913, was originally an open-air construction with a dirt floor covered with sawdust. Later, the auditorium was enclosed with walls and was renamed in honor of George R. Stuart, a minister and strong supporter of the Southern Assembly. Memorial Chapel was built in 1949 as a memorial to southeastern United Methodist Church members who served in the armed forces during World War II. The Book of Memory, located in the SEJ Heritage Center, contains the names of 90,000 people who served during the war. The Room of Memory, adjacent to the chapel, houses the Lake Junaluska Columbarium. Constructed around 1930, the Francis Asbury Trail is named for Bishop Francis Asbury, one of the pioneering American Methodist ministers who passed through this area in 1810 while spreading John Wesley’s message of Methodism. The Lake Junaluska Dam was constructed between 1911 and 1913, and has a oneway road and sidewalk. Completed in 1921, the center section of the Lambuth Inn is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is named to honor Bishop Walter R. Lambuth, a notable missionary. Inspiration Point offers panoramic views of the lake and mountains, and it is a scenic destination for all to engage in quiet meditation, prayer and study. The Lake Junaluska Cross was constructed in 1922. The Amphitheater was built in 1988 and is now a popular location for vesper meetings, worship services and Lake Junaluska’s annual Easter sunrise service. Built in 1988, the Turbeville Footbridge enables visitors to complete the shorter 2.3-mile path that circles the lake. Next, and last, is the swimming pool and kayak/canoe/paddle board center.
Most butterflies were observed near the Harrell Center